Sunday, January 27, 2013

How To Keep Your Hair Color From Fading!

1.  Use a good deep moisturizer 7 to 10 days before coloring to prepare hair for the color. Use a clarifying shampoo to wash your hair at least 24 hours before your color (this is especially important if you use styling products with silicon because they will prevent the color from adhering to the hair). Do not wash your hair within 24 hours of coloring because the color will not take to the hair as well. Furthermore, do not use the clarifying shampoo after coloring because it can strip the color from your hair.


2. Do not shampoo your hair until at least 48 hours after the color is applied to avoid stripping the color. When you do shampoo and condition, use products that are specifically designed for color treated hair. Shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair have ingredients that are designed to protect your color rather than stripping or dulling it. I prefer Park Avenue Color Protecting Shampoo& Conditioner. My stylist also advised not to shampoo my hair every day but only when necessary to protect the color.

3. This one is a little difficult for me because when I take my shower the water is hot enough to boil eggs most of the time. However, in order to protect my color I have learned to shampoo and rinse in cool water rather than hot water. The hot water opens the hair follicles and dulls the color. Cool water will keep hair color much brighter and true than using hot water.


4.Speaking of showers, the chemicals in your water can dull and strip hair color. My stylist suggested that I invest in a filtered showerhead and she was correct - my hair color does last longer and is brighter than before.


5. Heat not only damages your hair but it also damages your hair color. I dry my hair on a medium heat setting and I use John Frieda Heat Defeat Protective Styling Spray to protect my color and hair when using a flat iron or other heat styling tools. This is essential to keeping your hair color from fading.


6. Protect your hair from the sun to make the color last longer. Purchase hair products that have UV protection. Wear a hat if you are in the sun and cover your hair when you are in tanning bed


7. Avoid using hair spray if possible because this will dull your hair color. However, make sure that you use products to enhance the shine and appearance of your hair color such as BioSilk Silk Therapy (I cannot live without this product for my hair).


8. There are color enhancing shampoos on the market that are designed to boost your hair color by depositing small amounts of color on your hair. I have tried some of these and found that they actually turn my color brassy if I use them every time I shampoo. Therefore, use these only once a week or every other week to give your color a little boost. Pick a shade that is closest to your hair color for best results.









1 comment:

  1. This is however optional because I believe that since the hair is covered with weave the moisture does not have a chance to escape as fast.

    hair products

    ReplyDelete